Flip3D was one of those cool WOW things that Windows Vista marketing couldn’t show enough of. If you are using a low end machine and barely clearing the Aero performance bar you may want to limit the number of windows displayed to keep the performance hit to a minimum. If you haven’t seen it yet you can read my article about using Flip3D.
Ok lets get into making the changes already!
Note: This change requires making modifications to the registry. If you are wary of doing this then I suggest you hold off. I and this website will not be held accountable for any damage done while modifying your registry.
- Go to the start menu and type regedit, and launch the Registry Editor, if you have UAC enabled click “Allow”
- Navigate to the following Registry Key:
- Create a new DWORD (32-bit) entry and name it Max3DWindows
- Set the Dword value to the max number of windows you want open. For low end machines 3-5 windows should be good while higher end machines can have 10 without issues.
- Click Ok and then exit the Registry Editor.
After rebooting you can test the change by having multiple windows open and using Windows key+TAB.